The Kaito KA888 is one of the
most versatile emergency radio packages that we have found in our
extensive research - this compact unit packs in a multi band emergency
radio, a bright flash light, a compass, a thermometer, an audible
emergency notification siren and a concealed storage compartment. All
these features can be operated indefinitely without external power
thanks to the self contained dynamo crank and solar charging panels.
Moreover, all these features are contained in a package that weighs less
than 2 pounds in a case that measures less than 9” wide and 4” high and
3” deep. With all of these features and compact size, it is
understandable that the US and UK armies have already purchased 75,000
of these combination emergency radio devices.
Put one of these radios in your backpack for a hiking trip and you can
enjoy music or worldwide broadcasts whether that trip is scheduled to
last two hours or two months. Put another in your household emergency
kit and it will be ready for you to use in the next power outage.
- Four Power Source Alternatives:
- Hand Crank Dynamo – Unlimited power by charging internal NiMh
batteries. 2 minute crank gives 20 minutes of radio play.
- Solar Panel – Operate the radio almost indefinitely in bright sun or
use the sun to charge the batteries and get 6 to 8 hours of play time
for 12 hours of sun
- AC Charge Adapter – Operate the radio for 48 hours with 6 hours of AC
- Batteries: Power the radio the old fashioned way with 3 AA batteries
- Receives signals on the following bands:
- AM: 525 KHz to 1710 Hz
- FM: 88 MHz to 108 MHz
- continuous short wave bands:
- SW1: 6.00 – 12.00 MHz
- SW2: 12.00 – 18.50 MHz
- Includes plug-in earphone for privacy and power conservation.
- Includes extended wire antenna for receiving short wave transmissions
- Illuminated analog dial for night operation.